Thursday, May 3, 2012

Dylan the bamboo shoot

Good day folks and welcome to the Wide World of Dylan! Daddy coming to you LIVE from the epicenter of our media capital...

It has been a few interesting months, to say the least. Our little Dylan boy is becoming not so little anymore. To employ a well known saying, "we can't stop him, we can only hope to contain him." Truer words have never been spoken. It is quite amazing to watch and listen to him GO! If I could figure out how to post video of him now, trust me, I WOULD. Anyway, I'm trying to stay focused and get this completed.

December began on a sad note. On the 3rd my Grandpa William (Bill) Coppieters passed away. A few weeks before, Emily and I had taken Dylan and Quincy out to the Raymond Hospital to visit him and get some pictures. (Quincy's middle name is William in honor of him.) I explained to Dylan that Grandpa was sick and that's why he was in the hospital. When I got the phone call with the news I was visibly upset and when I hung-up Dylan struck my hand with my phone in it and said "NO!" as if it was my phone that had hurt me. I had to laugh thru my tears. After calming down I was able to tell Dylan that his Great Grandpa Bill who was sick, "He sick and in hospital Dad", wasn't sick anymore, that he went to live with our Heavenly Father. Dylan had this look of understanding on his face that will never forget. A week later while we were at the funeral service we let Dylan go play with some cousins at Aunt Mimi's house then we picked him up later to go to the family dinner. He got to play with more cousins and new-found friends and run around.

Christmas was in the air and Dylan was excited, talking about Santa and Rudolph and elves and presents. I even downloaded the Raffi Christmas album that I listened to growing up for Dylan and burned it to CD. It was on constant rotation and we had the obligatory sing-alongs. He got to help his mom when the tree was set up, his job being to put the decorations on. He and Quincy each had their own. It was so thrilling for him, but we continually had to get after him cuz he would take it off the tree to play with. While I was working Dylan would get to help make Christmas crafts with mom and grandma Becky. Emily had a great idea for Christmas Eve afternoon, which was to take Dylan on his very first City Bus ride. He was thrilled and the best part was he got dropped off at Grandmas house! All he wanted from Santa was TRAINS. Got a couple of Thomas Trains and we had to wait a couple days to open and assemble it. One of them came with a big book and puzzle which he and I completed.

Playing with his trains and learning to share with Quincy took us into 2012. As this winter was basically non-existent, I didn't have to work overtime and the weather was so mild that we were able to go to the park and go on the swings quite often. He got to run and laugh and say HI to strangers and their dogs. Any other kids that he would see Dylan would say HI and call them his friends. "Those are my friends, dad!"

Makes me laugh everytime. He loves helping around the house, even when we dont ask him to. He runs to get the wipes, takes out 1 or 6 and starts to wipe things down, with no particular pattern. We have to remind him to put them in the garbage when he's done so that Quincy doesn't suck on them. Dylan LOVES SpiderMan, spiderwebs and stickers. Potty training was almost over and he would forget to ask us for stickers when he was done, but then out of the blue he would ask us to get his sticker books and could be very adamant about it. He is so funny to watch. He'll get his sticker book and go to pages that he's already put stickers on from months back and then he will rearrange them so they fit the spot or go together. Mind blowing!
Emily bought some vinyl window stickers to celebrate Valentine's Day and St. Patty's Day, and Dylan just had to help put them on AND arrange them... Plus he had to incorporate his Spidey stickers as well. He and Quincy have spent lots of time at our back sliding glass porch door designing and chewing on them. hmm, it's funny, but I didn't know they are flavored...
Dylan loves Quincy. He loves having a brother to feed things to, poke and prod, maul, hug 'n kiss and Quincy, to his credit seems to take it all in stride. He's pretty chill (like me...) It's truly incredible to see my first-born son grow up. Kinda humbling too, but I love it and wouldn't trade it or him for anything.